Thursday, December 31, 2009

Great Healthy Recipe!!

I really love to cook and love finding new recipes!!! Last year, Gregory and I were on the road for his job..so we had to eat out ALL the time! This is a recipe that I have "borrowed" from Olive Garden! If you order it there it is called Shrimp Primavera. Mine is a little different..but I got the base for my recipe from eating this at Olive Garden.

Ingredients
2 Cans fire roasted tomatoes (you really can use whatever tomato product you choose whether it is diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, etc..I just like the fire roasted taste and I feel like it goes great with this recipe!!)
Half a bag of shrimp (depends on how many you are cooking for!)
Half a box of penne pasta (make it healthier..buy whole wheat penne!)
I large red pepper
I package of sliced portabello mushrooms (they usually have these packaged pre-sliced. You can also purchase a large handful of baby portobellos!)
Half of an Onion
3 Cloves Garlic
Italian Seasoning (to taste)
Crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Olive Oil
Cajun Seasoning (optional)
Parmesean Cheese (optional)

Pasta
Bring water to a boil and cook pasta as indicated on the box

Sauce
Drizzle pan (with lid) with olive oil
Put the 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes in the food processor until desired consistency (you don't have to do this step but it speeds up the process! If you don't have a food processor just pour the tomatoes in the pan. It should take about 40 minutes for the tomatoes to reach a smooth consistency)
Add 3 cloves garlic
Season the sauce with salt and pepper, italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes
Let the sauce simmer while you prepare the rest of the meal!

Shrimp and Vegetables
Add olive oil to large pan
Cut up the bell pepper and onion and add to pan
Add mushrooms
Add Salt and Pepper
Cook for about 10 mins
Add shrimp and cook until Pink ( I add cajun seasoning to my shrimp before adding to the pan)
Continue cooking until peppers are tender

Finally!
Place the pasta in a large bowl and cover with your tomato sauce
Add in vegetables and shrimp and stir everything together

This "healthy" meal is amazing! My husband even loves it!!! It cooks very quickly..less than 30 minutes!! The only downside is having to use 3 different pots ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment